Skip to Main Content
my account

Name Changes in Texas

Information about legally changing one's name in the state of Texas.

Updating Your Documents After a Name Change

General Information

What documents do I need to update after a name change?

Changing your legal name does not automatically update your IDs, bank accounts, or any other records. You will need to inform various agencies and organizations of your new name. You must:

  • apply for a replacement Texas driver's license or ID within 30 days of the name change; and
  • get an updated Social Security card as soon as possible. Your Social Security number (SSN) will stay the same, but updating your legal name is essential for employment, benefits, and taxes.

You will also need to update your passport, green card, and other documents as needed. Depending on your situation, you may also need to inform certain people and other organizations. Examples include, but are not limited to:

  • your employer
  • a child's school or daycare
  • financial institutions
  • insurance companies
  • social services
  • healthcare providers

How do I update my documents with different organizations?

Each institution will have their own policies for updating names and the proof you'll need to present. In most cases, submitting a name-changing court order or a certified copy of your marriage license will be enough. Specifics will depend on the organization's policies and the type of name change.

Links with instructions for updating common state and federal documents are listed below. 

Links to Updating Your Documents

Texas Driver's License or ID Card

Social Security Card

U.S. Passport

U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)

Texas Birth Certificate

Texas Voter Registration

Related Resources