This is the "Pro Se Resources" page of the "Name Changes in Texas" guide.
Alternate Page for Screenreader Users
Skip to Page Navigation
Skip to Page Content

Name Changes in Texas   Tags: name change, vital statistics  

Information about changing one's name in the state of Texas.
Last Updated: Mar 25, 2015 URL: Print Guide RSS Updates
Pro Se Resources Print Page

Research from Home

If you have a library account in good standing, you can check out an OverDrive e-Book title or access our remote databases. Don't have a library account? Texas residents can register for a library account from home! Learn more about how to register from home.

For more information on your topic, please try searching our eBook collection or electronic databases.


Resources at the Texas State Law Library

Listed below are some of the library resources that can provide further guidance on this topic. Please call us at (512) 463-1722 if you have any questions about these materials.

Cover Art
How to change your name - Margaret C. Jasper
Call Number: KF 468 Z9 J37
ISBN: 0379113937
Publication Date: 2004
This book serves as a general introduction on how to change one's name. While this book is not specific to Texas, it does list the relevant name change laws for all 50 states.

About This Guide

There are many reasons why an individual would want to change his/her name or the name of a child. This guide is intended for Texans who are seeking information about name changes. Though most name changes require a court order, there are certain instances (e.g., typographical or spelling errors) when you can amend a birth certificate through the Texas Vital Statistics office without a court order.

Texas Law

Below you will find references to areas of Texas law that govern name changes. If you find these statutes difficult to understand, you may want to look at the "plain English" resources on this page or speak to an attorney.

Explained in "Plain English"

Because the law may not be easy to understand, below you'll find a collection of resources that help to explain the law on name changes in "plain English."

  • How to Get Your Name Changed
    This instructional video, put together by the Texas Association of Counties and the V.G. Young Institute of County Government, guides you through the name change process in Texas.
  • Name Changes in Texas
    This brochure, published by the Texas Young Lawyers Association, explains the requirements and the procedure for requesting a name change. It includes both the original petition and the order granting the name change.
  • on Name Changes
    Perhaps the best free legal resource on the Web for Texans, this page lists all of's information on name changes for both adults and children. Their "kits" include answers to frequently asked questions, instructions on how to proceed, and the legal forms that you must submit to the court.
  • Texas Vital Statistics - Amendments to Records
    This page answers frequently asked questions about how to amend vital records kept by Texas Vital Statistics (e.g., birth certificates). It discusses the instances when a court order is not required to amend a vital record.

Who Can I Contact?

Apart from Texas Vital Statistics -- which amends birth certificates and other vital records in case of errors -- there is no state agency that handles a request for a name change. The process is handled by the courts.

  • Texas Vital Statistics
    Contact Texas Vital Statistics if you have questions about amending a vital record such as a birth certificate.

Legal Research Guides from the Texas State Law Library

The Texas State Law Library reference librarians have compiled legal research guides for specific areas of the law. These guides contain resources that can help you research a legal issue. The American Association of Law Libraries has a guide for Non-Lawyers on How to Research a Legal Problem. If you have any questions, please contact us at (512) 463-1722 or at


The information provided on this page has been prepared for general information purposes only and should not be construed as, nor substituted for, legal advice. It is strongly recommended that you contact an attorney for advice specific to your fact situation. Your local bar association or the State Bar of Texas Lawyer Referral Information Service (1-800-252-9690) can assist you with locating an attorney.

Some of the electronic resources we refer to in this guide may be in PDF format. Adobe Reader or similar software is required to view PDFs.

Ask a Librarian

If you need help with a reference question, you may ask a librarian...

Need Legal Assistance?

Find a Library Near You


Loading  Loading...