Skip to Main Content
my account

Immigration Law

This guide provides information on Texas and federal immigration laws.

 Visas & Green Cards

About Visas & Green Cards

This page provides information on immigrant visas and permanent resident cards (also known as a green card). A foreigner who wishes to enter the United States typically must first receive permission from the U.S. government through the U.S. embassy or consulate in their own country. Getting a visa is the first step in this process for most people. In order to become a lawful permanent resident, a person will need to obtain a permanent resident card. 

Federal Law

Immigrant Visas

A U.S. visa is a permit to travel to, enter, and remain in the United States. The U.S. has two separate categories of visas: nonimmigrant visas for temporary visits, and immigrant visas for immigration purposes. This section focuses on immigrant visas and includes information from the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, and other resources.

Diversity Visa Program

Family and Employment-based Visas

Permanent Resident Cards (Green Cards)

A permanent resident card (officially known as a form I-551, but commonly referred to as a "green card") gives a person official immigration status and allows them to live and work permanently in the United States. 

E-Books from the Texas State Law Library

These e-books contain information on immigrant visas and can be viewed by those who have signed up for a free library account with the Texas State Law Library. Only Texas residents are eligible to sign up.