Skip to Main Content
my account


Information about divorce in Texas with and without children.

After the Divorce


Sometimes an ex-spouse does not do what the judge ordered them to in the final divorce decree. For example, they may not have given you certain property or paid support. If this happens, you may need to file a suit to enforce the divorce decree.

You have two years from the date of the final decree to file for enforcement of property division.

Texas Law

Understanding the Law


Name Changes

If you requested a name change in the petition for divorce, the judge can order the change in the final decree. This will only let you change your name back to one you used before your marriage. You cannot change it to something new as part of the divorce. 

If you want a new and different name, you will need to go through a separate name change process. Please see our guide to Name Changes in Texas for information and forms.

Once your name has been changed, you will need to get your official documents changed to your new name. These official documents might include your driver's license, social security card, and passport. For information about how to do that, please see the Name Change page of our guide to marriage.

Transferring Real Property

Your divorce decree may order that a house or its mortgage be transferred to one spouse. If the house is in both spouses' names, you may need to do additional paperwork to complete the transfer.

In many states, a quitclaim deed can be used to transfer property. However, using this form in Texas can cause problems with the chain of title. Please consult with an attorney before attempting to use a quitclaim deed for this purpose.